- Experience in accounting and bookkeeping in multiple industries at both large and small companies as well as thorough knowledge of accounting software which accelerates learning virtually any business and any program.
- Advanced proficiency in a wide variety of accounting & office software: Intacct, Quickbooks (online and desktop), Sage, Netsuite ERP, Cyma, Zoho Books/CRM, Braintree, Authorize.net, Excel (including h/vlookups, pivot tables, graphs and charts), Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Windows, Mac OSX and more.
- Excellent problem solving, communication, teaching, training and documentation abilities.
- Initiative to find what needs to be done, identifying efficiencies to cut costs and increase revenues wherever possible, tracking sales and operational trends for improvements and problem solving.
- Discipline to get all the daily tasks done right the first time and get you the details and reports you need to effectively manage your business.
- All levels of accounting from the basics of the general ledger, journal entries, accruals, subledgers, fixed asset, depreciation and amortization schedules up through consolidating financial statements (including direct & indirect cash flow statements) for multiple subsidiaries and owners as well as tracking equity owner/membership.
- Internal management reporting, budgeting and forecasting, contract management, sales reporting and trending, KPI reporting and other management tools.
- Preparation of tax and audit workpapers to reduce outside CPA costs, preparation and filing of franchise, sales and payroll tax reporting, setting up and registering new companies, LLCs, corporations, etc.
- Forensic accounting projects, catch-up projects to get books and reconciliations up to date, creation of new ledgers and sub-ledgers, and foreclosure and sale/purchase of assets and companies.
More Pie Consulting
Owner · August 2000 to Present
Focusing on small businesses, helping owners manage the accounting and administrative side to help their business grow thru onsite and virtual bookkeeping and accounting services. Contact me now to see how my experience, skills and knowledge can benefit your company!
Services available: Accounting & bookkeeping services, software implementation & transition, audit & tax preparation, accounting process creation, documentation & training, human resources, webhosting, copy editing, computer troubleshooting.
Accounting Software Experience: Intacct IAP/VAR (implementation & accounting specialist certifications), Quickbooks ProAdvisor, Netsuite Enterprise, Zoho Books/CRM, Sage 50 & 200, Thomson Reuters CPA accounting & tax modules. Experienced Excel user, v/hlookups, pivot tables, graphs, as well as exporting & configuring data from accounting software for consolidating financial presentations including intercompany eliminations as needed.
Sampling of clients:
- Strategic consulting firm working with Fortune 500 clients using Zoho Books/CRM
- Intacct implementation with ongoing accounting services for multiple clients in the healthcare, energy efficient lighting systems, HOA management and non-profit industries
- Expat family oriented social membership/magazine subscription business using Quickbooks Online
- Technical staffing business using Quickbooks Online
- Commercial property management for privately held firm using Sage 50
- Doctor’s practice using Quickbooks Enterprise
Established public accounting firm providing bookkeeping, accounting and tax services.
Intacct Accounting Software Implementation Specialist · January 2016 to Present
Responsible for onboarding new clients, providing catch-up for current activity and handling historical data retrieval, transition and implementation of Intacct accounting software as well as research and implementation of front end and back office management software.
Primary Accounting/Tax Software: Intacct certified IAP/VAR implementation & accounting specialist, Mineral Tree, Bill.com, Sage 200, Quickbooks Online.
German & Cohn
Established public accounting firm providing bookkeeping, accounting, financials, loan compliance and tax services.
Senior Accountant · May 2014 to July 2015
Responsible for accounting, bookkeeping and tax services for a group of small business clients, from onboarding to continuing services, general ledger, financial statements, tax returns, etc.
- Responsible for 15-20 companies on a monthly basis and 30+ on a quarterly and annual basis
- Client annual income range: $100,000 to $150 million
- Communicate with clients regularly by phone and email to resolve any issues, obtain documents for workpapers and answer any questions
- Bookkeeping data entry from client documents
- Bank reconciliations
- Prepaid and accrual journal entries and sub-ledgers
- Receivable and payable balance verification
- Property expense allocation
- Financial statement preparation and review
- Loan compliance reporting
- Federal and state monthly tax estimates
- Quarterly and annual payroll tax returns, W-2s, 1099s
- Corporate and individual tax return preparation for federal and state
- Supervise clerical personnel for data entry and bank reconciliations
- Assist clients with use of Quickbooks and Thomson Reuters CBS module
- New client set up, chart of accounts, fixed assets, prepaid and accrual sub-ledgers
- Self-taught on the Thomson Reuters CPA modules
- Created and documented processes for each client
- Created journal entry templates for complex clients
- Rated superior by supervising CPA for production of year-end workpapers with complete reconciliation and documentation of all balance sheet accounts and selected income and expense accounts
Primary Accounting/Tax Software: Thomson Reuters CS Professional Suite for CPA firms and Quickbooks Online/Pro/Enterprise.
Interactive advertising agency, providing combined web design/hosting, marketing, SEO and PPC services. Additional businesses included retail sales of customized Xbox controllers, retail office supply sales and a membership organization for high level/high profile executive & celebrity assistants.
Controller · April 2008 to March 2014
Responsible for all levels of accounting/bookkeeping duties, from monthly financials, cash flow reports, forecasting, budgeting and sales reporting as well as audit and tax reporting to CPA firm to billing, payables, general journals, bank and merchant reconciliations, loan amortizations, expense accruals, capital tables and pro forma reports for capital investment offerings.
Director of Operations · September 2009 to December 2013
Oversaw client services and administrative operations, to maximize efficiency, ensure smooth transitions during changes in executive staff. Worked with executive management team to develop strategy, plan new product offerings, increase client retention and reduce internal costs.
- Daily cash flow reporting with six week forecast for five entities
- Daily incoming revenue deposit reconciliation and forecast for three entities
- New client contract management and billing creation
- Manage payroll through Paychex/ADP for 20-30 employees
- Month-end close, prepaid and accrual entries and reconciliations
- Bank and merchant account reconciliations
- Loan amortizations and reconciliations
- Financial statement preparation and review
- Monthly financial forecasts covering three years for five entities
- Consolidating financial forecasts for five entities
- Annual audit and tax workpaper preparation
- Capital tables for 20+ investors
- Pro forma reports for capital investment offerings
- Supervision of up to three accounting/administrative personnel
- 401k plan and stock options management
- Health insurance management and annual review for best prices
- Created Accounts Receivable sub-ledger, identified and collected $25,000 of previously unknown past due balances
- Created contract revenue recognition sub-ledger to property report multi-year contract revenues for more accurate financial statements per GAAP
- Worked with sales staff to produce custom contracts for new clients
- Managed two accounting software conversions from Peachtree to Netsuite and later to Quickbooks and related billing and client/project management software, resulting in annual savings of $50,000
- Prepared multiple loan and SBA applications and documents for purchase of a 2 story office building resulting in obtaining $50,000 from the TARP program and the lowest interest rate the SBA had ever given
- Assisted with acquisition of customized xbox controller manufacturer/retailer and coordinated merger with competing advertising agency
- Managed two office moves in five years to reduce overhead costs for 20+ employees with uninterrupted customer service and minimal disruption
- Managed startup of new businesses, a membership organization for high-level executive and celebrity assistants with semi-annual conferences and a targeted niche retail office supplies
Primary Accounting Software: Peachtree, NetSuite ERP, Quickbooks Enterprise, Zoho, Braintree Gateway, Authorize.net and other cloud-based services.
Oil Nation, Inc.
Distributor for elevators, slips, tongs and related oilfield drilling tools.
Accountant/Office Manager · June 2006 to April 2008
- Basic accounting/bookkeeping duties
- Accounts payable
- Accounts receivable including collection thru phone calls, email and mail
- Payroll submission through ADP
- General ledger and financial reporting to CPA
- Manage small office, desktop computers and network
Special Projects: Created inventory in Quickbooks Enterprise for 2400 items.
Primary Accounting Software: Quickbooks Enterprise Solutions
Manufacturer of electric tankless water heaters.
Accountant · March 2005 to June 2006
- Implemented transition to Microsoft Navision (now Dynamics NAV) for general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and inventory
- Daily cash and inventory reporting
- Bank deposits and cash reconciliation
- Maintained accounts payable and accounts receivable ledgers
- Payroll processing
- Monthly sales and commissions reports
Primary Accounting Software: Microsoft Navision (now Microsoft Dynamics NAV)
Voest-Alpine Intertrading USA
Petro-chemical trading firm with worldwide operations, brokering shipments between the US, Europe and Asia.
Assistant Controller · July 2003 to January 2004
(Six month contract position for software transition)
- Supervised transition to Microsoft Navision (Dynamics NAV) for general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and inventory (six month contract position)
- Conducted an audit of three years of VAT tax returns for Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium
- Reconciled six bank accounts for the prior twelve months
- Maintained accrual sub-ledgers
Primary Accounting Software: Microsoft Navision (now Microsoft Dynamics NAV)
Wedge Group Inc.
US corporate headquarters for a private investment company with holdings in oil and gas, engineering, hotels, commercial property, interstate trucking lines, food industries and horse racing & breeding farms.
Senior Accountant · April 1987 to July 2000
- Thoroughbred Operations (January 1997 to July 2000)
Produced analytical management reports for Fares Farms, a 1,000 acre thoroughbred racehorse & breeding operation in Kentucky, and Fares Ranch in Texas. Also responsible for preparing consolidated monthly financials and management reports for the Link Group division with three manufacturing subsidiaries and reviewing financials submitted by the subsidiaries.
- Corporate Operations (October 1990 to January 1997)
Created and produced analytical management reports, forecasts and budgets for the internal corporate management company, internal insurance subsidiary and multiple property management companies. Consolidated subsidiary reports into monthly financial statements and analytical management reports for all US subsidiaries (30+ companies). Maintained and updated daily reporting for an $80 million actively traded stock portfolio.
- Corporate Operations (April 1987 to October 1990)
Maintained general ledgers and accounts payable for 10-15 companies.
- Stock Portfolio Reporting (2000) – Transition of the stock portfolio reporting and ten years of historical trading data from Lotus spreadsheet based reports to a customized database reporting system.
- Accounting Software Upgrade (1998) – Supervision of company-wide upgrade of more than 50 companies, including transition of historical data, from DOS to Windows version of Cyma software
- Network Implementation (1997) – Team leader for the implementation of corporate office network starting with 20 in-house users and expanding to 50 plus users at five locations within two years.
- Accounting Methods and Reporting (1990) – Assisted in the complete overhaul of the accounting department, all accounting methods and reporting, responsible for streamlining and automating the reporting process from the subsidiary level upward.
- Personnel Training (1989 to 2000) – Training new accounting personnel at main office and subsidiaries in various levels of accounting, from accounts payable to management reports.
Primary Accounting Software: Cyma DOS/Windows